Thursday, November 13, 2014

Chloe...and Faith

I thought I would take the time to update you on Chloe.


She is our precious one.  She opens her eyes often and looks around at everything.  But she still loves to cuddle with Mommy after she pigs out.

 And of course while Mommy is home with her, she has the privilege of being loved on by her big
sister, Katy.  Katy is such a huge help too!  No.  She REALLY is!  We are blessed to have such a bunch of caring siblings, but there is nothing like being sisters...or so I'm told.
 
This past Tuesday we took baby to Riley for a check up.  Our doctor, Dr. Johanna Askegard-Giesmann, had been called away to an emergency to St. Vincent and could not be at our appointment.  We saw her partner Dr. Karen West who was very positive about Chloe's condition and current health.  We were told to continue to dilate her, but to increase the size to the next number.

Then Amy (my lover of all medical shows, etc) asked what the surgery would entail.  I kind of wish she wouldn't have.  I think I was in the good kind of denial and thought it to be a simple procedure.  It is not at all simple.

The anus must be moved probably about 1-2 inches from its current location.  There it will need to be attached to muscle tissue which means more incisions.  After that process is complete there will then need to be reconstructive work to fill in the space created between the anus and the vaginal area.  This is especially important if she ever plans to have children.

After the surgery, Chloe will then need to be watched for infection and allow for healing.  This will take 5-7 days total including the surgery.  During this time Amy will have to pump since she will not be able to feed our baby.  Baby will receive all her food and fluid intravenously.

After that, we will hopefully be able to take her home where we will wait another two to three weeks and then once again return to Riley for a post op appointment.  Here the doctor will start the next series of dilation.

That's what we know so far.  The surgery will most likely be scheduled at the beginning of December.

I am struggling with this a lot.  The more it becomes a reality, the more my heart takes over.  I'm scared.  I don't want to take my daughter down there to have surgery.  In my mind she's fine.  There's nothing wrong with her.  Yes, I know this isn't true.  I just wish it was.

We're faced with decisions about what to do with our other three wonderful kids during this time.  Do I work after a few days?  Does Amy come home at all?  Who will watch them this time?

I believe God is in control.  I know He has everything in His sight and He knows my heart.  It just doesn't make this next couple of months any easier.

We could really use your prayers.  We have continued to be blessed by meals, cards, and gifts.  We couldn't ask for a better family and church family.  They have given us so much support.  But in all honesty, I think we're going to need it even more in the coming weeks.  Thank you so much for all you have done.  It won't be forgotten.

Keep praying for Chloe!


No comments: